RE: fclose() again

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 16:33:14 EST

> Well, according to the man page, fclose() should return EBADF if
> the passed
> argument is not an open stream. No where does it say that it
> segfaults, and
> the I don't see when it returns EBADF instead of segfaulting.
>
> I think the library might need to be patched, wherever it is segfaulting.

        Bad pointers lead to segfaults. End of story.

        The manual page tells you what the error means, it does not guarantee that
every possible case where the error might be argued to apply will be
detected and reported as such.

        One could make a similar argument for, say, 'realloc', which can segfault
of passed a bad pointer. The documentation says it should return NULL if the
"request fails".

        DS