Re: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 03:29:13 EST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 bodnar42@bodnar42.dhs.org wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > As root you can do alot worse things that hurt users. When the
> > kernel does *exactly* as root requests I have a hard time seeing it as being
> > flawed.
> >
> It's flawed if sanity checks aren't in place to prevent it from doing
> obviously and detectably incorrect things.

        Too bad this isn't the case here. From what I've been able to gather
this is actually part of the SPEC, which is why the capability was there to
begin with. It just happens that you can overwrite the bios on the disk using
it. Now, there are legitimate uses for this, when a user wants to upgrade
the bios on a disk. As near as I can tell it's basically the same issue as
with motherboard bioses. The concern is that it can be abused. Of course,
there are *lots* of things that are useful but can be abused. Should we
get rid of them? I doubt it.

                Stephen