Re: Console blanking problem with X11 + 2.4.x

From: Shane Shrybman (shane@zeke.yi.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 12:19:29 EST

Hi,

I have had a problem with XFree 3.3.6 and dev kernels for as long as i can
remember. Do you know when the problem you are tracking entered the
kernel? I don't know if this is the same problem you are trying to track
down here. Things are stable for me in 2.2.

I have applied your console.c patch against 2.4.0-t5-p3 and it seems to
make the problem harder to trigger but it is not completely gone. I am
also using the v1.5 VIA driver recently sent to lkml.

Hardware:
Matrox Mystique
Voodoo2
adaptec 2940uw
bttv card
Abit Ka7 board + Athlon
ps2 mouse (tried serial as well)

The Symptoms:
When running X, the X server display will sort of freeze after a random
period of time, or go blank and the screen saver kicks in at any time. I
say sort of because the mouse pointer still moves but the mouse pointer
icon doesn't change and clicking with the mouse has no effect. I can not
reproduce this on demand but with a little effort it can be
reproduced. This happens whether I switch to a console from X or not.

These things seem to make the problem easier to trigger:
running xscreensaver
running bonnie++
running kernel compile
running xawtv

Once I have some or all of these things running I then do a lot of rapid
window moving/resizing and mouse clicking in X and the display will
eventually freeze ( with the mouse pointer still being able to move). Once
frozen I can usually switch to a vc or use crtl-alt-backspace to kill the
X server but not always. Then after restarting the X server the screen
usually blanks immediately and comes back when I move the mouse but then
freezes almost immediately. This happens on all restarts of the X server
and I have to reboot to fix it.

After applying your patch I notice that I sometimes get some strange stuff
in console. It seems to be when running xawtv in X. What I get in the
console looks sort of like that matrix screen saver except multi-coloured
and moving horizontally.

I am sorry I can not be more precise about the these problems but I have
spent many, many hours trying to narrow this down. I would appreciate any
guidance you could give me, and would allow you remote access to the
box if you think it would help.

TIA

Shane