Re: Console blanking problem with X11 + 2.4.x

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 18:49:01 EST

> I have applied your console.c patch against 2.4.0-t5-p3 and it seems to
> make the problem harder to trigger but it is not completely gone. I am
> also using the v1.5 VIA driver recently sent to lkml.

So my patch helped. From what you report it just sounds like you have a
really buggy X server overall. For your matrox mystique try the matrox
fbdev driver with XF86_Fbdev. I use this and haven't any problems under
2.2.X and 2.4.X. In fact I had problems running XSVGA with matroxfb but
when I switched to XF86_Fbdev everything was all better.

> This happens whether I switch to a console from X or not.

The problems with my patch where only related to console switches. Your X
server has problems all around. I have just begun to examine the XFree86
code in detail to understand it. All 230 Megs of it :-(

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=