Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 08:55:59 EST

> The discussion (or rather shit-flinging contest) seems to be centered
> around the ability to physically fry an IDE disk. First of all, if this
> is possible in 2.2, is it possible in 2.0? I will back up to a 2.0
> kernel if not. If it is only possible in 2.4, then I WILL NOT UPGRADE TO
> 2.4. And no one in this office will, either. If all versions of Linux

It is possible in every OS on every PC class machine with disks made since
about 1993. It is a hardware security design flaw caused by the disk vendors
and motherboard vendors being to cheap to use a jumper to protect firmware
and putting convenience before security.

Many years ago computr manuals used to tll you 'nothing you can do can harm
the machine so experiment and enjoy'. On any modern PC you can erase all the
disk firmware and the bios firmware (the latter being done by the windows
chernobyl virus).

I doubt anything short of a class action US lawsuit against the major disk
vendors would provoke even notice from the vendors