RE: disk-destroyer.c

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 14:48:25 EST

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, David Schwartz wrote:

>> You only need access to the commands that are used and described in the
>> ATA-ATAPI specification. You do not need to send commands to the drives
>> that violate the standard making :
>>
>> LINUX NON-ATA-ATAPI COMPLIANT!
>>
>> Here is a good phrase.
>
> If "able to comply, but also able to fail to comply" counts as
>non-compliance, then my motherboard is NON-ATA-ATAPI COMPLIANT. After all,
>it is possible to cause it to issue commands to my hard drive that don't
>comply with the standard.

The motherboard does not issue commands to your hard disk.
Software running on your computer does. In this case, the Linux
kernel.

1 root@asdf:/vmware# cat /proc/ioports |grep ide
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0376-0376 : ide1
03f6-03f6 : ide0

See those I/O ports? Those are the interface to the hard disk at
the level the OS talks to.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.