RE: disk-destroyer.c

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 01:55:06 EST

> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, David Schwartz wrote:
>
> >> You only need access to the commands that are used and described in the
> >> ATA-ATAPI specification. You do not need to send commands to
> the drives
> >> that violate the standard making :
> >>
> >> LINUX NON-ATA-ATAPI COMPLIANT!
> >>
> >> Here is a good phrase.
> >
> > If "able to comply, but also able to fail to comply" counts as
> >non-compliance, then my motherboard is NON-ATA-ATAPI COMPLIANT.
> After all,
> >it is possible to cause it to issue commands to my hard drive that don't
> >comply with the standard.
>
> The motherboard does not issue commands to your hard disk.
> Software running on your computer does. In this case, the Linux
> kernel.

        Yes, the motherboard passes whatever commands it is told to pass to the
hard disk, without checking whether they comply with the standard or not.
Similarly, Linux passes whatever commands it is told to pass to the hard
disk, without checking whether they comply with the standard or not.

        You are defining standards compliance in a very peculiar way just to win
this argument.

        DS