Re: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)

From: Matthias Andree (ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 10:57:55 EST

"Anthony Barbachan" <barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com> writes:

> I figured that with 40 wires missing the chipset or drive wouldn't allow
> UDMA-66 anyway or that the drive would immediately stop working thus
> preventing data curruption. If this is not the case and the drive can get
> messed up then I would agree with defaulting to UDMA-33. Although I still
> think the appropiate speed should be retrievable from the BIOS if not the
> chipset itself. Another option is to allow the user to configure the
> default from make menuconfig.

Are those 80-ribbon cables by themselves marked/keyed in any way?

If so, the chip set would need support to read the key.

If not so (which I assume), you cannot tell if you have the proper cable
unless you transfer data and trash it.

You might try to actively probe (like reading inquiry data at UDMA/16
and UDMA/66 and compare it), but this may succeed, while subsequent
transfers fail. You never know.

High-frequency technology requires care and thought. It's not about just
switching DC on and off. There's more to it.

--
Matthias Andree

Where do you think you're going today?