Re: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution should be(Re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 17:45:50 EST

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Willem Riede wrote:

> Khimenko Victor wrote:

> > JS> So it has gone. That's my point.
> >
> > You can do this on your router and perhaps even on your web-server. You can not
> > do this on desktop workstation. Not while such access is needed by XFree86.
> >
> So maybe we should split that capability and have CAP_SYS_RAW_GRAPHICS?

Indeed. Unfortunately, that requires distinguishing between direct access
to the video card(s?) and all the other hardware; there IS a patch out
there which can do this using PCI resource allocations with, apparently,
reasonable success. It's not in yet, but it would fit the bill. Maybe for
2.5?

James.