Re: request advice: how stable is devfs in 2.4.0-test9?

From: Marko Kreen (marko@l-t.ee)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 17:38:01 EST

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 10:45:48PM +0100, Mirko Klemm wrote:
> Could anyone please send me a comment on how actually usable the devfs
> support in the 2.4.0 test series is at the moment?

Fine. I was forced to use it from 2.3.99-something and
have not had any problems with it. (I lifted whole system
from one disk to another and forgot to create /dev :)

> I am currently using 2.4.0-test* as an "ordinary user" and want to try some
> of the 2.4 specific new features out, but this is my only system and I don't
> want it to be messed up so much, so I'd like to hear some comments first.
> Which version of devfsd/utils is needed?

I have devfsd 1.3.10.

You better be sure you have following lines in devfsd.conf:

REGISTER .* MKOLDCOMPAT
UNREGISTER .* RMOLDCOMPAT

You can later reconfigure most stuff to use new layout
but especially X is a pain.

--
marko