Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:06:59 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!

> > And please check your numbers, 857 million
> > > context switches per second means that on a 1 GHZ CPU you do one context
> > > switch per 1.16 clock cycles. Wow!
> >
> > Excuse me, 857,000,000 instructions executed and 460,000,000 context
> > switches
> > a second -- on a PII system at 350 Mhz. It's due to AGI
> > optimization.
>
> That's more than one context switch per clock. I do not think
> so. Really go and check those numbers.

Pavel, The optimization exploits the multiple piplines in Intel's
processors,
and yes, it does execute more than one instruction per clock, it's
optimized
to execute in the processors parallel pipelines. The EMON numbers are
accurate,
and you can download the kernel and verify for yourself. These types of
optimizations
are possible when people have acccess to Intel Red Cover documents, then
you
get to know just how Intel's internal architectures are affected by
different coding optimizations.

Jeff