Re: filesystems

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 04:51:02 EST

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> you do not mount a VFS filesystem. VFS is not a filesystem. VFS is a
> Virtual Filesystem Switch, i.e. a set of concepts, philosophy, data
> structures and functions which together make writing new filesystems easy.
> The name is derived from the SVR4 data structure vfssw (sic?) whence all
> the good concepts of VFS came (yea, yea, I know, AV (and history books)
> will tell me that Sun had a vnode/vfs layer and that even FreeBSD has a
> sort of VFS/vnode layer but we all know that the really good form of VFS
> came from SVR4, like it or not, the others, except Linux of course, are
> impostors)

perhaps I invented a new English word "achronal impostor", i.e. impostor
even if he was there before others ;)

And, to emphasize my respect to Al Viro, I would like to explain that I
sometimes spell "my personal humble opinion" as "we all know", just read
between the lines and you will be Ok.

Regards,
Tigran