Re: Kernel bits

From: 64738 (schwung@rumms.uni-mannheim.de)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 04:46:35 EST

uname -m tells me the hardware type of the machine. Is this determined while
booting or is this the architecture I choose during 'make config'?

Can't I run a i386 kernel on a ia64 machine? I know something like this from HP-
UX. You can choose between a 32 and a 64 bit kernel when installing, so knowing
that you have a 64 bit capable machine does not say that you have a 64 bit
kernel.
And I want to have the kernel bits, not the processor bits.