Re: Oops in iput

From: Ville Herva (vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 06:07:42 EST

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:56:51AM +0100, you [Stephen C. Tweedie] claimed:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:09:33AM +0300, Ville Herva wrote:
>
> > Well, I for one use the 2.2 ide patches extensively (on almost all of my
> > machines, including a heavy-duty backup server)
>
> It is highly hardware-dependent. A huge amount of effort was spent
> early in 2.4 getting blacklists and hardware tweaks right to work
> around problems with specific chipsets with ide udma. Just because it
> works for one person doesn't give you any confidence that it won't
> trash data for somebody else.

Well, the report said 'Intel BX chipset' - that's as solid as chipsets get
(to loosely quote Alan). Almost all of my boxes are BX (one has HPT366 in
addition, and another one was changed to Via686a recently), and I imagine
that BX gets most testing since it is very common chipset. Moreover, it only
does UDMA33, not any fancy 66 or 100 stuff (although I haven't had problems
with those either on HPT366, HPT370 nor 686a).

As said, it could be the ide patch, but surely there are other just as
likely suspects as well.

-- v --

v@iki.fi