Re: [comphist] Re: Microsoft and Xenix.

From: Rob Landley (landley@webofficenow.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:44:53 EST

On Monday 25 June 2001 16:19, asmith@14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> Hi again,
>

> some old brain-cells got excited with the "good-ol-days" and other names
> have surfaced like "Superbrain","Sirius" and "Apricot".Sirius was Victor in
> the USA. If you go done the so-called IBM compatible route then the nearly
> compatible nightmares will arise and haunt you, your lucky if the scars
> have faded!!

With the spelling cleaned up slightly, I just might want to quote that last
sentence in my book. Would you object?

I take it that superbrain, sirius/victor, and apricot were PC clones like the
Tandy and Wang that were sort of but not really compatable?

> I learnt my computing on a PDP8/E with papertape punch/reader, RALF,
> Fortran II, then later 2.4Mb removable cartridges (RK05 I think). toggling
> in the bootstrap improved your concentration. Much later you could
> get a single chip(?) version of this in a wee knee sized box.

"A quarter century of unix" mentions RK05 cartridges several times, but never
says much ABOUT them.

Okay, so they're 2.4 megabyte removable cartridges? How big? Are they tapes
or disk packs? (I.E. can you run off of them or are they just storage?) I
know lots of early copies of unix were sent out from Bell Labs on RK05
cartidges signed "love, ken"...

What was that big reel to reel tape they always show in movies, anyway?

I need a weekend just to collate stuff...

> One summer job was working on a PDP15 analog computer alongside an 11/20
> with DECTAPE, trying to compute missile firing angles. [A simple version of
> Pres Bush's starwars shield].

Considering that the Mark I was designed to compute tables of artillery
firing angles during World War II... It's a distinct trend, innit? And the
source of the game "artillery duel", of course...