Re: [comphist] Re: Microsoft and Xenix.

From: Michael Meissner (meissner@spectacle-pond.org)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 16:21:48 EST

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:44:53AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> Okay, so they're 2.4 megabyte removable cartridges? How big? Are they tapes
> or disk packs? (I.E. can you run off of them or are they just storage?) I
> know lots of early copies of unix were sent out from Bell Labs on RK05
> cartidges signed "love, ken"...

IIRC, rk05 was a removable disk drive, 1 platter to the assembly, about the
size of a large pizza box. They were the standard disk drives for small DEC
machines of the era. My memories from 30+ years ago, say they were maybe 10
pounds each. I would imagine you are confusing tapes with disks (ie, tk<num>
instead of rk<num>) in terms of the release media Bell Labs sent out (at least
I never saw a disk with the media, and I did have a job of trying to port the
V7 compiler to a V6 system). It could be the very early customers got disks,
and the later ones got tapes.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304