Re: TOE brain dump

From: Andy Isaacson (adi@hexapodia.org)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 10:58:30 EST

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:37:58AM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > to keep your latency down. Do any ethernet switches do cut-through?
>
> According to Google, many at least claim to do this.

Do you have any references for this claim? I have never seen one that
panned out (at least not since the high-end-10mbps days).

Just to be clear, I am asking for an example of a Gigabit Ethernet
switch that supports cut-through switching. I contend that there is no
such beast commercially available today.

(It would be even more interesting if it could switch 9000-octet jumbo
frames, too.)

I'm sure someone is going to point me to a $10,000/port monster, and
while that's not very feasible for my needs, it would still be
interesting.

-andy