non-root pthread code (attached) "crashes" 2.4.20-8 on Intel...how about 2.4.22

From: C. David Shaffer
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 12:44:56 EST

Attached is an incorrect solution to a classroom problem which
reliably crashes (more later) every linux machine that I've tried it
on. crash = machine becomes unresponsive to user input, no external
network connections are successful (can't connect to ssh, apache etc)
but no information is placed in the log. The program is otherwise
harmless so I encourage you to try it yourself :-) Compile with:

gcc -o fibFork fibFork.c -lpthread

Run it with:

./fibFork t 30

Here is as much info as I could think to provide (as I said, I've
"crashed" several machines with this but here is one config):

RedHat 9 "server" install
Intel P3 800MHz
uname -a: Linux shaffer2.cs.westminster.edu 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
glibc-2.3.2-27.9
gcc-3.2.2-5

I would be happy to provide more information but I'm hoping that
you'll be able to reproduce the problem.

David Shaffer
cdshaffer@xxxxxxx