Re: non-root pthread code (attached) "crashes" 2.4.20-8 on Intel...how about 2.4.22

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 13:38:35 EST

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:44:17 EDT, "C. David Shaffer" <cdshaffer@xxxxxxx> said:

> Attached is an incorrect solution to a classroom problem which
> reliably crashes (more later) every linux machine that I've tried it
> on. crash = machine becomes unresponsive to user input, no external

Two words: "fork bomb". Known problem since Ritchie, Kernighan, and
Thompson were coding the fork() syscall 30 years ago.

'man ulimit' and look at 'max user processes' (-u).

And before anybody flames about why this is the default value for that ulimit,
ask yourself "what value should be used by default instead?" and be prepared to
justify your answer.