Re: Tyan S2466 and 3ware Lockup

From: David Bryson
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 12:36:18 EST

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:54:25PM -0400 or thereabouts, Ananda Bhattacharya wrote:
> I have read Vincent Touquet about the Tyan motherboard and
> the 3ware problems that cause a lockup. He believes that
> this is due to dma causing the PCI bus to overload and then
> the system crashes. I am running a similar system with
> a National Semiconducotrs GigaBit Card and then there is a
> 3-ware card with 12 disks on it. I believe to fix this
> problem is to use dma=off as a boot option. Does anyone have
> another idea, or an exact idea why lockups like this happen?
> I have not as of yet used the dma=off option myself.
> thank you

I run at least 12+ machines with a similar configuration(Tyan S2466
dual athon w/3ware controllers). And I have been testing heavy loads
with them for over a year and not seen anything related to what you describe.
But, I do not use NatSemi network cards, mostly Broadcom Gbit
cards(tg3 driver) and some intel e1000 Gbit cards. Maybe the problem is
your network card ?