Re: Tyan S2466 and 3ware Lockup

From: Ricky Beam
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 10:41:04 EST

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, David Bryson wrote:
>> I have read Vincent Touquet about the Tyan motherboard and
>> the 3ware problems that cause a lockup. He believes that
>I run at least 12+ machines with a similar configuration(Tyan S2466
>dual athon w/3ware controllers). And I have been testing heavy loads
>with them for over a year and not seen anything related to what you describe.
>But, I do not use NatSemi network cards, mostly Broadcom Gbit
>cards(tg3 driver) and some intel e1000 Gbit cards. Maybe the problem is
>your network card ?

And maybe his problem is cheap memory. Use memory Tyan has certified for
use on the motherboard. Otherwise, learn to live with unpredictable
instability. (As a Tyan user for years, every case of a "flaky motherboard"
has turned out to be memory related. PCI DMA can stress memory beyond
imagination.)

--Ricky