Re: [AMD64 1/3] fix C99-style declarations

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 15:29:50 EST

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 02:28:24PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Although the compiler has always supposed C99 style, I feel that until
> the kernel as a whole moves to C99 style, such code reduces portability
> to other compilers. In particular, I am willing to bet Intel's Yamhill
> will eventually be supported by the x86-64 code, and non-gcc compilers
> will eventually be used to build this platform.

The intel compiler supports C99 just fine.

x86-64 always used C99 and there is no x86-64 compiler
around that doesn't support it. I must say I was somewhat pissed off
that someone added that nasty warning to the toplevel Makefile
just to comfort some gcc 2.95 users on i386 ("all world is a i386")

I have enough trouble just to get the essential bug/compilefixes accepted
by Linus, so I see no chance to get such things in currently.

-Andi