Re: [AMD64 1/3] fix C99-style declarations

From: John Levon
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 15:47:53 EST

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:27:50PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> x86-64 always used C99 and there is no x86-64 compiler
> around that doesn't support it. I must say I was somewhat pissed off
> that someone added that nasty warning to the toplevel Makefile
> just to comfort some gcc 2.95 users on i386 ("all world is a i386")

Sorry, that is bullshit. The change was entirely designed to prevent
people on such architectures hacking general files where there *do*
exist older compilers, to avoid breakage being introduced without it
being flagged.

This has happened more than once in the tree.

When all the architectures have a minimum gcc requirement that accepts
mixed code and declarations by default, it can be removed ...

regards,
john
--
Khendon's Law:
If the same point is made twice by the same person, the thread is over.