Heavy disk activity without apperant reason

From: Stef van der Made
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 16:57:54 EST

On my AMD athlon system with 512MB memory I sometimes get a lot of disk activity the activity normaly lasts for about 10 seconds and after that the disk stays relativily quiet as expected with the load on the system. When I look into top I don't see any programs that could explain the disk activity. The system is in most cases not using any swap.

The system configuration is as following.

AMS athlon 1400
512MB main mem
18GB scsi disk 10K
29160 adaptec scsi controller
using a via kt2666 chipset

I'm not sure if I should log a bug and what the problem area could be.

Thanks in advance for helping out,

Stef