re: Linux 2.6 features list update

From: John Mock
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 23:57:10 EST

I think the section entitled "Laptops" is overly optimistic. First,
as far as i know, suspend-to-disk has only this week been announced
(on this mailing list) for anything other than the i386 platform, and
even there, many laptops only marginally work with software suspend/
suspend-to-disk. I really doubt that any file system utilizing USB or
ieee1394 is going to work reliably (if at all) with suspend for many
laptops in the near future. I think the 2.6.0 shakedown and the amount
of attention (or lack thereof) given to suspend-related bugs makes it
clear that suspend-to-disk/software suspend is still experimental in
this release.

I sincerely hope that changes very soon and i will do what i can to
help. Meanwhile, please qualify that section to read:

... now supports full software-suspend-to-disk functionality on many
-------
laptops for the Linux user on the go.
------- [emphasis to show added text]

It's definitely improved, but in many instances (especially where the
laptop manufacturer has not provided full hardware/BIOS documentation),
it does not work well and may be difficult to make reliable in the near
future.

Respectfully submitted,
-- JM