re: Linux 2.6 features list update

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 00:18:46 EST

I don't use it myself, but I believe some of the users of the 2.4
version (which is what has just been ported to 2.6) are successfully
utilising USB and ieee1394 there (without the driver model!). There's no
great difference in the ported version, so it should work or be able to
be made to work with the port, even if (unlikely) there's something
fundamentally different in Patrick & Pavel's implementations that will
prohibit it from working.

Regards.

Nigel

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 17:55, John Mock wrote:
> I think the section entitled "Laptops" is overly optimistic. First,
> as far as i know, suspend-to-disk has only this week been announced
> (on this mailing list) for anything other than the i386 platform, and
> even there, many laptops only marginally work with software suspend/
> suspend-to-disk. I really doubt that any file system utilizing USB or
> ieee1394 is going to work reliably (if at all) with suspend for many
> laptops in the near future. I think the 2.6.0 shakedown and the amount
> of attention (or lack thereof) given to suspend-related bugs makes it
> clear that suspend-to-disk/software suspend is still experimental in
> this release.
>
> I sincerely hope that changes very soon and i will do what i can to
> help. Meanwhile, please qualify that section to read:
>
> ... now supports full software-suspend-to-disk functionality on many
> -------
> laptops for the Linux user on the go.
> ------- [emphasis to show added text]
>
> It's definitely improved, but in many instances (especially where the
> laptop manufacturer has not provided full hardware/BIOS documentation),
> it does not work well and may be difficult to make reliable in the near
> future.
>
> Respectfully submitted,
> -- JM
> -
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.