RadeonFB [Re: 2.4.23pre8 - ACPI Kernel Panic on boot]

From: Kristofer T. Karas
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 17:43:53 EST

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Joachim, The patch in question has caused other problems and will be removed.

Speaking of patches causing problems and needing reversion, can the screen-corrupting RadeonFB patch introduced in 2.4.23-pre3 be reverted until such time as it is fixed? I know there was a maintainer war going on over who should officially submit RadeonFB patches; somewhere in there, updates and fixes stopped coming.

As it now stands in current -pre kernels, returning from XFree86 to a RadeonFB console results in total gibberish all over the screen (with my hardware anyway, a standard Built-by-ATI Radeon 8500 LE chipset QL rev0). There is no workaround, other than to return to X. Another bug also causes screen corruption when switching VCs (it forgets where in the YPan it is), but this can be easily worked around by setting VYRES = YRES (fbset -match -a).

The previous version of RadeonFB in 2.4.23-pre2 and earlier works just fine on my Radeon 8500 hardware, albeit without accelerated scrolling. Of course, if people with other Radeon flavors can't use the older driver but the newer one works for them, then short of a CONFIG_OLD_RADEONFB, I guess we should keep the current one...

Kris