Re: RadeonFB [Re: 2.4.23pre8 - ACPI Kernel Panic on boot]

From: Javier Villavicencio
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 18:06:55 EST

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:42:17 -0500
"Kristofer T. Karas" <ktk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> >Joachim,
> >The patch in question has caused other problems and will be removed.
> >

> Speaking of patches causing problems and needing reversion, can the
> screen-corrupting RadeonFB patch introduced in 2.4.23-pre3 be reverted
> until such time as it is fixed? I know there was a maintainer war going
> on over who should officially submit RadeonFB patches; somewhere in
> there, updates and fixes stopped coming.
>
> As it now stands in current -pre kernels, returning from XFree86 to a
> RadeonFB console results in total gibberish all over the screen (with my
> hardware anyway, a standard Built-by-ATI Radeon 8500 LE chipset QL
> rev0). There is no workaround, other than to return to X. Another bug
> also causes screen corruption when switching VCs (it forgets where in
> the YPan it is), but this can be easily worked around by setting VYRES =
> YRES (fbset -match -a).
>
> The previous version of RadeonFB in 2.4.23-pre2 and earlier works just
> fine on my Radeon 8500 hardware, albeit without accelerated scrolling.
> Of course, if people with other Radeon flavors can't use the older
> driver but the newer one works for them, then short of a
> CONFIG_OLD_RADEONFB, I guess we should keep the current one...

Just to add some words about this, the older patch doesn't have support
for my Radeon 9600 Pro (RV350 chipset AP), so I tried the new one,
which has support, but only that, the new one is what Kristofer told
here among other things. So I added (just guessing, no idea if that was
right, for fun maybe) the PCI_IDs and RV350 checks in some places
of the old driver (I'm pretty sure they're all wrong), compiled and tried.
The old driver works *just fine* with my Radeon 9600, I only have a little
character distortion when trying to show the default linux logo, it shows
without problems my customized logo, strange this. I can switch from X
without any trouble and the console looks fine.
I did this for kernel version prior to linux-2.6.0-test9 there are a new fbdev
patch but I added the radeonfb_setup function to it, it wasn't compiling
, not taking arguments from the kernel command line video=...., and
has the same behaviour as the new driver.

Salu2.

Javier Villavicencio