Re: Linux 2.4 future

From: bill davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:34:41 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0312021508470.21855@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Tomas Konir <moje@xxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

| > > ReiserFS4 is stable ? very new information for me.

Therein is a fair question. There are a lot more people using XFS than
JFS, or at least if people are using JFS they are not talking about it
much. And XFS has been around and stable for a long time, probably
longer than stable JFS (and some would argue Reiser ;-). I don't think
new FS should be added indefinitely, but since XFS has seniority, a
larger user base than some FS in the kernel, neither of which will ever
be argued again for another FS, it seems possible to add XFS without
setting foot on some hypothetical slippery slope.

As a stability issue, since people are using XFS, it would probably be
better to have it in than as a patch added and possibly modified by each
vendor.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc