Re: 2.7 (future kernel) wish

From: Jim Crilly
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 22:21:15 EST

Rob Love wrote:
On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 22:03, Jim Crilly wrote:

Generally it just complains that you pulled out the device prematurely, I've never seen one give a STOP error from that but I guess a bad driver or USB controller could cause anything.

It would be pretty easy to screw things up if you pull out a device in
the middle of use.

When you insert a device like a USB stick Windows puts a little icon next to the clock in the system tray that you're supposed to use to stop the device before pulling it, effectively it unmounts and stops (or atleast releases the device from) the driver so the device can be 'safely' removed.

This is useful, and something I think we need on the Linux desktop (stay
tuned).

I agree, that's one of the reasons I posted at all. Little things like this can make a big difference, even though I've seen a lot of users not notice the little icon and have to be told about it.

Maybe when the icon appears have a tool-tip that pops up and says something like "your USB device is ready for user at /mnt/usb, click here when you're done" or something like that to make it more noticable that they shouldn't just yank it.

But I seem to be getting OT for this list...

I also believe Windows mounts any removable device synchronously so that if you do pull it out prematurely the damage done is limited.

Eww, I hope not, that would be excruciatingly slow. It might adjust the
buffer writeback to be really short (even nearly immediate) but
synchronous I/O is a different story, and much slower.

Rob Love

Perhaps synchronous was the wrong term =) But it does atleast seem to do less buffering for removable devices or I could just be fooled by something else slowing it down.