2.6.0-mjb2

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 22:25:02 EST

The patchset contains ... oh hell, anything I feel like putting in it.
It's meant to be pretty stable - performance should be better than mainline,
particularly on larger machines.

I'd be very interested in feedback from anyone willing to test on any
platform, however large or small.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/2.6.0/patch-2.6.0-mjb2.bz2

Since 2.6.0-mjb1 (~ = changed, + = added, - = dropped)

Notes:

Now includes kexec and the new kgdb-over-ethernet code ... please test!
Sound under xmms, and other code that uses OSS emulation interfaces to
ALSA drivers should sound a whole load better than mainline with this release.

Now in Linus' tree:

Dropped:

- kgdb over ethernet
The parts of the kgdb patch that were kgdb over ethernet.
Replaced by code that works with the new netpoll infrastructure.

- poll_eepro100
Polled net driver for kgdb.

- poll_tlan
Polled net driver for kgdb.

- poll_tulip
Polled net driver for kgdb.

- poll_tg3
Polled net driver for kgdb.

- poll_8139too
Polled net driver for kgdb.

- poll_8139too_fix
Fix a locking bug

New:

+ netdrvr_2.6.0_exp3 Jeff Garzik
Net driver kit, including the netpoll infrastructure.

+ kgdboe_netpoll Matt Mackall et al.
Kgdb over ethernet support that works with the netpoll infrastructure

+ kexec Eric Biederman et al.
Exec a kernel for breakfast today.

+ alsa_100rc2 ALSA project
New code drop of sound infrastructure - fixes various bugs.

+ force_wholefrag Martin J. Bligh et al.
OSS emulation sounds like crap without wholefrag. Revert that change.

+ lockmeter_notsc Martin J. Bligh
Lockmeter does not require CONFIG_X86_TSC.

Pending:
config_numasched
list_of_lists
Hyperthreaded scheduler (Ingo Molnar)
Child runs first (akpm)
pidmaps_nodepages (Dave Hansen)
Netdump
Netconsole

Present in this patch:

netdrvr_2.6.0_exp3 Jeff Garzik
Net driver kit, including the netpoll infrastructure.

kgdb Various
Stolen from akpm's 2.6.0-mm1, includes fixes

kgdboe_netpoll Matt Mackall et al.
Kgdb over ethernet support that works with the netpoll infrastructure

ppc64_bar_0_fix Anton Blanchard
PPC 64 fixups

ppc64_reloc_hide Anton Blanchard / Paul Mackerras
PPC 64 fixups

ppc64_sched_clock_fix Anton Blanchard / Paul Mackerras
PPC 64 fixups

ppc64_use_statfs64 Anton Blanchard
PPC 64 fixups

ppc64_compat_clock Olaf Hering
PPC 64 fixups

ppc64_numa_sign_extn Anton Blanchard
PPC 64 fixups

ppc64_IRQ_INPROGRESS_fix Anton Blanchard
PPC 64 fixups

spinlock_inlining Andrew Morton & Martin J. Bligh
Inline spinlocks for profiling. Made into a ugly config option by me.

lockmeter John Hawkes / Hanna Linder
Locking stats.

vm86_sysenter_fix Brian Gerst
Re-enable sysenter after task switch

oops_dump_preceding_code Andrew Morton
dump opcodes preceding and after the offending EIP.

4g4g Ingo Molnar
Provide a 4G/4G user/kernel split for 32 bit memory lushes.

lotsa_sds Badari
Enable lots of scsi disks

readahead_fixes Ram Pai
Fix performance bugs in readahead

readahead_simplfiy Ram Pai
Simplify the readahead code

x86-64 Andi Kleen et al.
x86_64 patch kit, 2.6.0-1

early_printk Dave Hansen / Keith Mannthey
Allow printk before console_init

confighz Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen
Make HZ a config option of 100 Hz or 1000 Hz

config_page_offset Dave Hansen / Andrea
Make PAGE_OFFSET a config option

numameminfo Martin Bligh / Keith Mannthey
Expose NUMA meminfo information under /proc/meminfo.numa

sched_tunables Robert Love
Provide tunable parameters for the scheduler (+ NUMA scheduler)

partial_objrmap Dave McCracken
Object based rmap for filebacked pages.

local_balance_exec Martin J. Bligh
Modify balance_exec to use node-local queues when idle

tcp_speedup Martin J. Bligh
Speedup TCP (avoid double copy) as suggested by Linus

disable preempt Martin J. Bligh
I broke preempt somehow, temporarily disable it to stop accidents

aiofix2 Mingming Cao
fixed a bug in ioctx_alloc()

config_irqbal Keith Mannthey
Make irqbalance a config option

percpu_real_loadavg Dave Hansen / Martin J. Bligh
Tell me what the real load average is, and tell me per cpu.

per_node_rss Matt Dobson
Track which nodes tasks mem is on, so sched can be sensible.

pfn_to_nid Martin J. Bligh
Dance around the twisted rats nest of crap in i386 include.

gfp_node_strict Dave Hansen
Add a node strict binding as a gfp mask option

irqbal_fast Adam Litke
Balance IRQs more readily

kcg Adam Litke
Acylic call graphs from the kernel. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

numa_mem_equals Dave Hansen
mem= command line parameter NUMA awareness.

schedstat Rick Lindsley
Provide lotsa scheduler statistics

schedstat_arches Rick Lindsley
Make schedstats support PPC, PPC64, x86_64 as well as ia32

autoswap Con Kolivas
Auto-tune swapiness

mbind_part1 Matt Dobson
Bind some memory for NUMA.

mbind_part2 Matt Dobson
Bind some more memory for NUMA.

emulex driver Emulex
Driver for emulex fiberchannel cards

qlogic Qlogic / Mike Anderson
Now qla2xxx-8.00.00b8-1

protocol254 Paul Mackerras / Omkhar
Allow protocol 254

slabtune Dave McCracken
Take slab in bigger bites on larger machines

less_bouncy Martin J. Bligh
Stop bouncing warm tasks cross node

topdown Bill Irwin
Turn userspace upside down for fun & profit

sysfs_vs_dcache Maneesh Soni
Fix race.

pci_topology Matt Dobson
Expose PCI NUMA topology to userspace

stacktrace Adam Litke
Stack backtracing via frame pointers

implicit_huge_pages Adam Litke / wli / Brian T.
Implicit huge pages for mmap and shmem

user_text_replication Dave Hansen
Replicate read-only user text.

fasync_lock_rcu Manfred Spraul
Use RCU for fasync_lock

lockmeter_ia64 Ray Bryant
Add a config option for lockmeter on ia64

slab_reclaim_accounting Manfred Spraul
Fix slab reclaim accounting

4g4g_sep_fix Ingo Molnar
Fix SEP on 4g/4g split

4g4g_sysenter_test_fix Arjan
Fix sysenter detection

4g4g_locked_copy Dave McCracken
Locked copy to userspace

kexec Eric Biederman et al.
Exec a kernel for breakfast today.

alsa_100rc2 ALSA project
New code drop of sound infrastructure - fixes various bugs.

force_wholefrag Martin J. Bligh et al.
OSS emulation sounds like crap without wholefrag. Revert that change.

lockmeter_notsc Martin J. Bligh
Lockmeter does not require CONFIG_X86_TSC.

-mjb Martin J. Bligh
Add a tag to the makefile