2.6.0 with frame buffer problems?

From: Andreas Theofilu
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 04:19:50 EST

Hi to all,

Since kernel 2.6.0 I have a strange behavior of the screen in text modus
as well as in graphic modus. If I scroll in plain old text modus for
example within VI, some letters are misplaced and text on the screen
became more and more unreadable. A ^L, that redraws the screen, helps and
going a whole page down or up is also no problem.

The same kind of problem occures in graphic modus. There, pixels are
misplaced what makes the screen not only ugly but sometimes also
unreadable, beside that this is really annoying. Because I encountered
this in graphic modus first, I thought it was because of XFree86 4.3.0.
But now, after searching the net and asking people I'm almost surely that
this belongs to the kernel. I tried without frame buffer and tried
different settings, but nothing changed.

I found out, that the problem with the graphic appeard first with kernel
2.4.21. In the first place it was only a sometimes funny looking cursor
(mouse pointer?) that was gone after switching to software cursor. In
kernel 2.4.22 random pxiels appeared and in 2.4.23 more random pixel
appeared. In kernel 2.6.0 the problem is now also with text modus.

Although I'm a programer, I'm not a kernel hacker and have really no idea
where to start to look for this. Any hints where to look or patches are
welcome.

My hardware:
Graphics card: Radeon 7000 (known as Radeon VE QY)
Motherboard : MSI KT4V
Chipset : KT400
RAM : 512Mb
CPU : AMD 2800+