Re: 2.6.0 with frame buffer problems?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 11:44:58 EST

On Monday 29 December 2003 04:17, Andreas Theofilu wrote:
>Hi to all,
>
>Since kernel 2.6.0 I have a strange behavior of the screen in text
> modus as well as in graphic modus. If I scroll in plain old text
> modus for example within VI, some letters are misplaced and text on
> the screen became more and more unreadable. A ^L, that redraws the
> screen, helps and going a whole page down or up is also no problem.
>
>The same kind of problem occures in graphic modus. There, pixels are
>misplaced what makes the screen not only ugly but sometimes also
>unreadable, beside that this is really annoying. Because I
> encountered this in graphic modus first, I thought it was because
> of XFree86 4.3.0. But now, after searching the net and asking
> people I'm almost surely that this belongs to the kernel. I tried
> without frame buffer and tried different settings, but nothing
> changed.
>
>I found out, that the problem with the graphic appeard first with
> kernel 2.4.21. In the first place it was only a sometimes funny
> looking cursor (mouse pointer?) that was gone after switching to
> software cursor. In kernel 2.4.22 random pxiels appeared and in
> 2.4.23 more random pixel appeared. In kernel 2.6.0 the problem is
> now also with text modus.
>
>Although I'm a programer, I'm not a kernel hacker and have really no
> idea where to start to look for this. Any hints where to look or
> patches are welcome.
>
>My hardware:
>Graphics card: Radeon 7000 (known as Radeon VE QY)
>Motherboard : MSI KT4V
>Chipset : KT400
>RAM : 512Mb
>CPU : AMD 2800+
>
>My .config is attached.
# Graphics support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set

Way too many frame buffers enabled. Pick the one that works with your
card and disable the vesa. You may have to say y to the usual fonts
too.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M