Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 07:44:29 EST

Greg KH wrote:

Oh yeah, and there are the insolvable race conditions with the devfs
implementation in the kernel, but I'm not going to talk about them right
now, sorry. See the linux-kernel archives if you care about them (and
if you use devfs, you should care...)

I really think you should, because IMHO this is *the* major argument against devfs.

I spent days trying to tweak a mandrake distribution into running from a Compact Flash card.

The init sequence would fail with I/O errors as if the card had hardware problems. It took me a long time to realize that it was devfs and devfsd the culprits. With *exactly* the same setup, but static device nodes the system worked just fine.

Maybe it was the slow compact flash PIO modes that were triggering the bug, but the truth was that devfs had bugs in it, and I never saw anyone trying to correct them later.

So my opinion is: udev is *really* needed and you're doing a great job with it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :)

Just my 2 cents,

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"