Re: [CFT] inflate.c rework arch testing needed

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 22:11:23 EST

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:32:52AM +0100, J?rn Engel wrote:
> On Thu, 18 March 2004 17:10:06 -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:
> >
> > I've reworked the mess that is lib/inflate.c, including:
> >
> > - proper formatting
> > - killing a ton of legacy code
> > - cleaning up IO and CRC handling
> > - eliminating all the global variables
> > - using __init for the core kernel
> > - proper linking rather than the #include "../lib/inflate.c" hack
> > - lots of minor cleanups along the way
> >
> > This drops a ton of support code from all the users of this code as
> > well:
> >
> > arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile | 5
> > arch/arm/boot/compressed/misc.c | 244 --
> > arch/i386/boot/compressed/Makefile | 6
> > arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c | 224 --
> > arch/x86_64/boot/compressed/Makefile | 6
> > arch/x86_64/boot/compressed/misc.c | 212 --
> > include/linux/inflate.h | 9
> > init/do_mounts_rd.c | 129 -
> > init/initramfs.c | 139 -
> > lib/Makefile | 4
> > lib/inflate.c | 3047 ++++++++++++++++-----------------
> > 11 files changed, 1688 insertions(+), 2337 deletions(-)
>
> I like the patch in general. This is definitely the wrong time for
> it, but at least parts of it could go into 2.7 sometime.

Well it's been sitting in -tiny for a while already and will stay
there until someone else is ready for it. I may try to push it to -mm
at some point.

> Have you thought about updating to a more recent version of zlib? It
> is most likely not worth it but I'd like to know for sure.

The code for new versions of zlib is significantly scarier last I
checked and there's no particular advantage to it. But one of the
primary motivations here is to get to the point where something like
bunzip2 or even a new zlib is a drop-in replacement.

--
Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting