Re: PROBLEM: APIC on Chaintech ZNF3-150 Motherboard

From: Ross Dickson
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 07:23:32 EST

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:32:45 +0000, Doug Winter wrote:
> >I've just put a new computer together with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and a
> >Chaintech ZNF3-150 motherboard. This has the Nvidia NForce 3 chipset.
> >
> >Booting 2.6.4, from the debian kernel-image-2.6.4-1-k7 package, I get
> >reproducible errors from the onboard BCM5788 NIC and a Realtek 8139 NIC
> >when under load.
> >
> >When the disk is under load, I get reproducible DMA errors from any IDE
> >disk that is under load.
> >
> >When I boot with "noapic", these problems go away.

> NVidia chipsets are known to have problems when used with
> local APIC or I/O-APIC. We don't know exactly what happens,
> but it looks like a hardware or BIOS problem. The only
> known cure is to try combinations of:

> upgrade BIOS
> pci=noacpi
> acpi=off
> noapic
> nolapic

>FWIW, VIA's K8T800 chipset seems to work very well.

Perhaps I should ask firstly how your timer interrupts are routed?
io-apic edge, local apic, or xtpic - does it still have one of these?

And you could check and see whether this patch has made it through to your
current kernel (I just remember the posting - I don't have an nforce3).

I don't know about idle states for K8 and nforce3 but you could also try my C1
idle halt patch (for K7 and Nforce2 - also SiS740). It may have no effect on
nforce3 but you might get lucky (don't forget the kernel arg or it won't work).