Write-combining

From: Thiago Robert
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 09:46:17 EST

Hello there!

Is there an easy way to be sure about wether the PCI write-combining is enabled or not for a given memory region?

I'm writting user-level communication software for a Myrinet network. I use Write PIO and I'm aware that WPIO performance is greatly influencied by the presence of write combining. Based on the performance I measured I can only conclude that Write Combining is enabled but I would like to be sure about it (since I'm planning to publish my research).

Is the default behaviour of the Linux kernel to enable write-combining? How can I be sure if it is enabled or not?

Thanks in advance.