Re: [patch] sched: auto-tune migration costs [was: Re: Industry db benchmark result on recent 2.6 kernels]

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 10:26:09 EST

* Paul Jackson <pj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 3) I was noticing that my test system was only showing a couple of
> distinct values for cpu_distance, even though it has 4 distinct
> distances for values of node_distance. So I coded up a variant of
> cpu_distance that converts the problem to a node_distance problem,
> and got the following cost matrix:

> The code (below) is twice as complicated, the runtime twice as long,
> and it's less intuitive - sched_domains seems more appropriate as
> the basis for migration costs than the node distances in SLIT tables.
> Finally, I don't know if distinguishing between costs of 21.7 and
> 25.3 is worth much.

the main problem is that we can do nothing with this matrix: we only
print it, but then the values get written into a 0/1 sched-domains
hierarchy - so the information is lost.

if you create a sched-domains hierarchy (based on the SLIT tables, or in
whatever other way) that matches the CPU hierarchy then you'll
automatically get the proper distances detected.

Ingo