Re: Extremely poor umass transfer rates

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 13:10:39 EST

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:55:40 +0200 Mark Rosenstand wrote:

| On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 12:59 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
| > On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 06:02:22PM +0200, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
| > > I get transfer rates at around 30 kB/s to USB mass storage devices. It
| > > applies to both my keyring and my mp3 player. Both are running vfat.
| > >
| > > I'm running 2.6.12-rc3 for amd64 with patches for inotify and skge. The
| > > motherboard is an ASUS K8V-X (VIA K8T800).
| > >
| > > It worked alright earlier (2.6.10 or 2.6.11, I'll test later if
| > > necessary.)
| > >
| > > Also, if I transfer more than one file at a time the music tracks start
| > > overlapping on my mp3 player.
| >
| > Are you running it on a USB 2.0 capable interface ?

with the EHCI host controller driver loaded?

| I believe so. How do I verify it?

(see below)
and post /proc/bus/usb/devices (contents)

| I've tried to move it to the other on-board hub but without results.
|
| > Is your mp3 player USB2.0 capable ?
|
| I'm not sure. But I do know that it used to be *much* faster than this.
| My keyring is USB 2.0 capable and that's slow as well.
|
| > USB1.1 is painfully slow for storage.
|
| Yeah, but I don't think it should be 30 kB/s.
|
| Some more details:
|

| The line that 'hald' puts in fstab looks like this:
|
| /dev/sdb /media/usbdisk vfat \
| user,exec,noauto,utf8,noatime,sync,managed 0 0
|

| The relevant parts of my .config:
|
| #
| # Miscellaneous USB options
| #
| CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
| # CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_OTG is not set
|
| #
| # USB Host Controller Drivers
| #
| CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
OK, EHCI answer is Yes.

| # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_SPLIT_ISO is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT is not set
| # CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD is not set
| CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
| # CONFIG_USB_SL811_HCD is not set
|
| [...]
|
| CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
|

| What my dmesg tells me when I attach the device:
|
| usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6

"full speed" is USB 1.x (12 Mbps, not high-speed 480 Mbps),
so the device is reporting itself as less than high-speed
or the USB descriptor parsing is missing it somehow (but it
works for a few hundred other devices).

| scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
| usb-storage: device found at 6
| usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
| Vendor: iriver Model: MassStorage Disc Rev:
| Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
| SCSI device sdb: 249857 512-byte hdwr sectors (128 MB)
| sdb: Write Protect is off
| sdb: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
| sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
| SCSI device sdb: 249857 512-byte hdwr sectors (128 MB)
| sdb: Write Protect is off
| sdb: Mode Sense: 45 00 00 08
| sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
| sdb:
| Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi6, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
| usb-storage: device scan complete
|
| Thanks for the advices so far :-)

---
~Randy