Re: which ioctls matter across filesystems

From: Steve French
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 16:05:03 EST

Trond Myklebust wrote:

I'm therefore asking whether or not there is a killer-app out there that
we need to support and that does want to track changes made by other
clients. File browsers are more or less the only thing that come to
mind.

Cheers,
Trond

I believe that the spotlight facility of MacOS, and the somewhat similar Longhorn feature (think Google desktop search/indexing on steroids) qualify as killer-apps. I am concerned about how to do better with our implementations across a distributed (NFS, CIFS etc.) network. And of course coalescing async notifications most efficiently is a fascinating and difficult area to do right - for servers at least.