Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Lincoln Dale
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 02:12:17 EST

David Masover wrote:

Ok, I'll bite. Hans put it best a moment ago:

[..]

you seem to have some misconceived notion that this is somehow a "ReiserFS versus XFS" or "ReiserFS versus ext3" case.
l-k could do without those conspiracy theories. lets just stick to the facts.

No, as a user, I just want a working plugin architecture to play with
(I'm not *just* a user), and a working Reiser4 'cause it's fast, and I
am eager to see new improvements coming out of Namesys, instead of two
years spent trying to keep up with the vanilla kernel *and* adapt to
some unspecified, possibly unneccessary, decree of a benevolent dictator.

one of the nice things about linux is the freedom open-source gives you.
there is no reason why Hans cannot keep whatever proprietary mechanisms to do whatever fancy plugins he wants and you as a user can use until the cows come home.

but just don't have the false expectation that just because something is 'kool' that its going to get into the kernel without rigorous peer review & approval

cheers,

lincoln.