Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 03:02:24 EST

Lincoln Dale wrote:
> David Masover wrote:
>
>> Ok, I'll bite. Hans put it best a moment ago:
>>

> [..]
>
> you seem to have some misconceived notion that this is somehow a
> "ReiserFS versus XFS" or "ReiserFS versus ext3" case.
> l-k could do without those conspiracy theories. lets just stick to the
> facts.

erm, let me take a peek at what you just chopped out.

Yeah. Um. I mention XFS and ext3 *once* in the whole message. As an
example of filesystems in general, because the only other two I'd
consider (or ever use) for a desktop FS at this point is XFS or ext3.
And it was a hypothetical opinion (I don't really know if / how much
Hans feels that way), and I personally find it far easier to believe
that there are stubborn people or that there isn't enough communication
of facts than that there is actually some anti-reiser conspiracy.

So, my mistake for trying to speak for other people.

>> No, as a user, I just want a working plugin architecture to play with
>> (I'm not *just* a user), and a working Reiser4 'cause it's fast, and I
>> am eager to see new improvements coming out of Namesys, instead of two
>> years spent trying to keep up with the vanilla kernel *and* adapt to
>> some unspecified, possibly unneccessary, decree of a benevolent dictator.

[...]
> but just don't have the false expectation that just because something is
> 'kool' that its going to get into the kernel without rigorous peer
> review & approval

I don't, actually.

I did expect the peer review to be a little more efficient, less
confrontational, and (maybe) more fair. But I'm actually a bit content
right now. After all, I *am* running reiser4 on two of the three
machines I maintain at home.

And, if you scroll up a bit, at this point I just want this resolved. I
don't particularly care if Hans decides to just keep maintaining a
patchset, although I would be happier if it got into the mainstream
kernel -- I wouldn't have to wait as long to install each new 2.6.11 or
2.6.12 + nvidia module.

But this is a lot of time and energy from a lot of people on both sides
who I would rather see working on something else.

I appologize for the tone of that, too. I know you don't work for me...