Re: [ckrm-tech] [patch 25/38] CKRM e18: Add fork rate control tothe numtasks controller

From: Naoaki Maeda
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 09:20:16 EST

Hi,

Rogier Wolff wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 04:07:50PM +0900, Naoaki Maeda wrote:

Gerrit Huizenga wrote:>

> +By default, the sys_total_tasks is set to 131072(128k), and forkrate is set

+to 1 million and forkrate_interval is set to 3600 seconds. Which means the
+total number of tasks in a system is limited to 131072 and the forks are
+limited to 1 million per hour.

From the same point of view, the default value of forkrate should be
no limit. (In addition, 1 million tasks per hour is not an abnormally
high rate.)

It is quite high. however, in some applications I can immagine that a
machine would indeed trigger a very high fork rate.

For example, a machine that runs lots of shell scripts that call each
other, may all of a sudden be forking the required 300/second....

I agree that it is quite high rate. However, as you pointed out,
shell scripts may fork processes in very high rate.

Another reason I don't like this default values is that
forkrate_interval is too long.

Please imagine if forkrate limite is reached in the first 30 minutes,
we cannot fork any process for another 30 minutes. It is not what
I expected.

Thanks,
MAEDA Naoaki