Re: wrong madvise(MADV_DONTNEED) semantic

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 15:45:51 EST

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:20:53PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Jörn Engel, le Tue 28 Jun 2005 22:17:04 +0200, a écrit :
> > If the application knows 100% that it is the _only_ possible user of
> > this data and will never again use it, dropping dirty pages might be a
> > sane option. Effectively that translates to anonymous memory only.
>
> And private file mappings?

So long as the mapping exists, the data should not disappear. So a
MAP_PRIVATE mapping should behave just like a MAP_SHARED mapping, and
both need to be fixed to not lose data due to madvise(MADV_DONTNEED).
(I agree with Joern, MADV_FREE seems like an ill-advised extension.)

If this means some swap needs to be allocated, well, so be it.

-andy