Re: who sets boot_params[].screen_info.orig_video_isVGA?

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 10:31:51 EST

gl@xxxxxxxxx <gl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to get intelfb running on a system with a 855GM onboard chip,
> and the driver exits at intelfbdrv.c::intelfb_pci_register() (2.6.13, line
> 814:
>
> if (FIXED_MODE(dinfo) && ORIG_VIDEO_ISVGA != VIDEO_TYPE_VLFB) {
> ERR_MSG("Video mode must be programmed at boot time.\n");
> cleanup(dinfo);
> return -ENODEV;
> }

This ought to be done by the bootloader if you pass a vga=foo argument.
The framebuffer driver doesn't know how to switch resolutions (primarily
because Intel won't tell anyone how to do it, so the only method is a
real-mode BIOS call to the VESA BIOS)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.linux-rutgers.kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx