Re: who sets boot_params[].screen_info.orig_video_isVGA?

From: gl
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 10:45:37 EST

Thanks for the reply, Matthew.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Matthew Garrett wrote:

gl@xxxxxxxxx <gl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am trying to get intelfb running on a system with a 855GM onboard chip,
and the driver exits at intelfbdrv.c::intelfb_pci_register() (2.6.13, line
814:

if (FIXED_MODE(dinfo) && ORIG_VIDEO_ISVGA != VIDEO_TYPE_VLFB) {
ERR_MSG("Video mode must be programmed at boot time.\n");
cleanup(dinfo);
return -ENODEV;
}

This ought to be done by the bootloader if you pass a vga=foo argument.
The framebuffer driver doesn't know how to switch resolutions (primarily
because Intel won't tell anyone how to do it, so the only method is a
real-mode BIOS call to the VESA BIOS)

Do I get it right, that, say, if I tell grub to load a kernel and specify "vga=xxx" on the kernel command line, grub will interpret it, issue some VESA BIOS calls and fill in the screen_info struct? If so, the card often supports several modes (VGA, SVGA, VESA, different resolutions, colour depths, etc.), right? So, which one will be chosen? Does it depend on the specific value I give to "vga="? How do I force VIDEO_TYPE_VLFB (VESA VGA in graphic mode) mopde then?

BTW, I didn't find any code in grub that sets up screen_info, or it's very well hidden:-)

Thanks
Guennadi