Re: Linux v2.6.14-rc4

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 22:47:06 EST

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:31:12PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Tom 'spot' Callaway:
> [SPARC32]: Enable generic IOMAP.

... breaks non-PCI builds (aka the absolute majority of sparc32 boxen).
On sparc32 insl() et.al. are defined only if CONFIG_PCI is set.

Moreover, I really doubt that generic_iomap is the right thing to do
there - all these guys end up as memory dereferences anyway, so ioread...()
et.al. have no reason to care about the origin of iomem pointer they get.

Note that generic iomap is needed only when we have separate IO port space
that needs different access. And for those we imitate iomem. AFAICS,
on sparc32 *everything* is iomem anyway, so WTF do we need lib/iomem.c?