Re: 2.6.14-rc4-rt1

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 04:57:32 EST

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> * Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ingo,
> >

> > I am getting similar segfault on boot problem on 2.6.14-rc4-rt1 on my
> > x86-64 box (with LATENCY_TRACE).
>
> > INIT: version 2.86 booting
> > hotplug[877]: segfault at ffffffff8010f588 rip ffffffff8010f588 rsp
> > 00007fffff8bee68 error 15
>
> what does the ffffffff8010f588 RIP address map to? You can find out by

It could be any kernel address that someone injected into user space.
Most likely some problem with the vsyscall page with either signal
handling or gettimeofday. vsyscall code is tricky to hack because you
cannot add any new functions there, just inlines, otherwise the code
won't end up the right section.

-Andi