Re: make kernelrelease ignoring LOCALVERSION_AUTO

From: Kasper Sandberg
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 17:31:24 EST

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 13:39 -0500, James Cloos wrote:
> I use $(make kernelrelease) in my kernel install script to get the
> version string for the filenames in /boot and the grub menu items.
>
> The partial hash string CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y adds is no longer
> showing up in the version kernelrelease echos, although it does show
> up in the version string used by $(make modules_install).
>
> I even added an @echo $MODLIB to the kernelrelease rule and got only:
>
> ,----
> | :; make kernelrelease
> | 2.6.15-rc2-lug2
> | /lib/modules/2.6.15-rc2-lug2
> `----
<snip>
i dont know anything about this, but if it is a bug, it should be fixed,
however, in the meantime, this might help you: (its what i do in my
kernel install script)
eval $(head -n 4 Makefile | sed -e 's/ //g')

then in bash you can do this:
FULLVER=${VERSION}.${PATCHLEVEL}.${SUBLEVEL}${EXTRAVERSION}

hope it might help