Re: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 05:38:42 EST

On Fri, Dec 09 2005, Erik Slagter wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:31 -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>
> > > It works just fine on laptops, with Jens' suspend/resume patch.
> >
> > I have seen a few other people report that SATA suspend/resume
> > works when using Jens's patch. However, this is done without
> > the benefit of what the additional ACPI methods provide thru
> > _GTF and writing those taskfiles, such as:
> > - enabling write cache
> > - enabling device power management
> > - freezing the security password
> >
> > so even when it "works," those people may be missing some
> > performance benefits or power savings or security.
> >
> > In any case, I'm glad to see some discussion of this.
>
> IMHO available infrastructure (and hardware abstraction!) should be used
> instead of being stubborn and pretend we know everything about any
> hardware.

It's not about being stubborn, it's about maintaining and working on a
clean design. The developers have to do that, not the users. So forgive
people for being a little cautious about shuffling all sorts of ACPI
into the scsi core and/or drivers. We always need to think long term
here.

Users don't care about the maintainability and cleanliness of the code,
they really just want it to work. Which is perfectly understandable.

--
Jens Axboe